How to communicate social projects effectively via social media? (1)
Before starting on our journey in the social realm, whether it is for social initiatives or social responsibility projects, we it is important to create a clear strategy.
We can briefly sum up our next steps as follows;
- Create a movement in order to motivate people to take action
- Choose or create appropriate platforms. Think about both your audience and your brand when selecting which online platforms to use.
- Encourage people to participate and share
- Develop a system that brings to the forefront rewarding and creative leadership
- Spread your idea as much as possibly
- Evaluate to result in a transparent manner
Listen up! The key to social media success for your project or ideas is listening it is so important that it should preface the outreach efforts you do. People like talking and sharing their opinions. And they are your free focus group. Why don’t you use it? And also you can do seeding to promote talkability.
Our mainly purpose is create a significiant movement right? So before the social media scope let’s look at the big picture. Wait, someone allready has done this for us. Thanks to Philip Kotler. So you can check your project with this helpful chart.
Also you can find another chart similar to Maslow’s pyramid, in the social media counterpart; http://crtunnard.blogspot.com.tr/2011/11/social-media-and-hierarchy-of-needs.html
Contagious ideas will be the winner!
Let’s return to our mainly topic: Using social media. We must always remember the spirit and rules to social media and all of them come from basic human values and behaviors. People tend to share naturally what they like. Therefore the theory of three circles is a good guide for your social impact studies on the internet.
According to the three circle theory by S.Stratten;
- First circle – inner circle – will share almost anything because they are (hopefully) very close to you. These are the most powerful bonds. When you push out content, it always hits a good percentage of your First Circle.
- The second circle: These people are not directly connected to your organization. You have to be more careful for the second circle. Just one or two bad impressions of your content from those in your first circle, and you’ll lose them forever. This means that your content must be truly great to keep them interested. Don’t forget, you should become the leading information provider for your niche/sector.
- The third circle is the group you need to be thinking about when you’re creating content. If you reach the third circle, you can reach your personal brand. The third circle most likely does not have any prior connections to you before. This means that when they share content it is because it is valuable information that they feel is worthy of being shared.
So, let’s create powerful and emotional content! Because contagious ideas will be the eventual winners.
Sources in Turkish:
Kotler, P., Kartajaya, H., Setiawan, I., (2010). Pazarlama 3.0. Optimist Yayım Dağıtım, İstanbul.
Stratten, S., (2012). Sosyal Medyada Yapılan Müthiş İşler, Sosyal Medyada Yapılan Vasat İşler. MediaCat Kitapları, İstanbul.